What are the main types of subsidized housing?
- HUD Project-Based Housing (rent based on your income)
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Housing (rent based on Philadelphia median income)
- Public Housing (rent based on your income)
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Housing (rent based on your income)
How can I apply for HUD Project-Based or Low Income Housing Tax Credit Housing?
- For a list of housing developments, go to PAHousingSearch and select county and preferred bedroom size.
- Call each housing development or go in person to find out if the development is accepting applications.
- Submit an application and follow up at least once per year to update your application and confirm that you are still on the waitlist.
How can I apply for Public Housing?
- The waitlist for conventional Philadelphia Housing Authority (PHA) public housing is closed.
- The waitlist for PHA public housing for seniors and people with disabilities is open.
- The waitlists for non-PHA public housing are open.
You can apply:
- By Phone: Call PHA at 215-684-4000
- In Person: Go to PHA Admissions at 712 N 16th St (near 16th and Fairmount Ave)
- Online: Click here.
How can I apply for a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher?
The waitlist for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is closed. The waitlist was open for 3 weeks in March 2010 and has not been open since.