Why should I pay a judgment?

  1. Improve your credit.
  2. Avoid having money taken from your wages or bank account.
  3. Avoid termination from the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

How do I pay a judgment?

  1. Determine the exact amount owed. Sometimes you owe more than the judgment because the landlord paid writ fees to evict you—usually $130. Sometimes you owe less than the judgment because you made payments, the landlord deducted your security deposit or the landlord agreed to accept a reduced payment.
  2. Get on a Payment Plan. If you cannot pay in full, contact the landlord to get on a written payment plan. The plan should state the amount owed, how much you will pay and how often.
  3. Send money. Send money orders to the landlord at the address on the court papers. Keep your money order receipts.

What do I do after I pay a judgment?

  • Contact the landlord’s lawyer. Show proof that you paid the judgment and ask the lawyer to mark the judgment satisfied.
  • Contact the landlord. Ask the landlord to sign an Order to Mark Judgment Satisfied (download sample). Then, file it in Municipal Court at 1339 Chestnut Street, 10th Floor.
  • File a Petition to Satisfy if the landlord will not sign an Order to Mark Judgment Satisfied.
    • Go to Municipal Court at 1339 Chestnut Street, 10th floor.
    • Ask to File a Petition to Satisfy. You will need proof of all payments you made after the date of the judgment.
    • Ask to File a Petition to Proceed In Forma Pauperis (IFP). If the IFP is granted, you will not have to pay filing fees. Download IFP here.
    • Choose type of service. Pay a service fee or choose private service, which means a person over 21 and not a family member must serve the court papers on the landlord.

The judgment is still showing up on my credit report. How do I get it off?